“Paris is a little paradise on earth. From all my loves, Paris is my favorite”, “Paris c’est sur la terre un coin de paradis. Paris, de mes amours, c’est lui le favori”, Joséphine Baker
On Saturday June16th at 15:00, 60 drivers from around the world are waiting for the green flag, which launches 24 hours of thrills and passion on the legendary Le Mans circuit.
Umbert has been part of those vibrations for a fierce battle.
Sunday 17 June 15:00, it’s over ! Umbert is waiting for the cup to be presented to Fernando Alonso before joining Paris for the monthly weekend he shares with you.
The new, young and trendy place, including the hotel, a bar area, a restaurant, as well as a magnificent terrace. This former 18th century mansion is listed as a historical monument, but the rooms are treated in an “arty” style. The idea is not to feel in a hotel but in a place of life. Hôtel The Hoxton 30/32 rue du Sentier 75002 Paris
Etiquette : the staff will appreciate your thanks. Tipping is also a way of saying "thank you". The tip shout be around 5 euros for the porter, 5 euros for room service, 10 to 15 euros for the concierge.
Umbert loves to go back to his former gym Le Klay, and especially to his restaurant, where a young and chic clientele like to hang out and laugh. Le Klay Saint Sauveur 4 Rue Saint-Sauveur, 75002 Paris
Etiquette : the salad should not be cut with a knife. Take your fork to fold the large leaves.
Umbert loves walk the neighborhood in search of unusual shops and trendy items. He advises you :
- Le Repaire de Bacchus : to offer your friends the best wines and brandy. Le Repaire de Bacchus 88 rue Montorgueil 75002 Paris
- La Garçonnière : the lifestyle place for men, including clothes, a cellar and a barber. La Garçonnière 40 rue des Petits Carreaux 75002 Paris
- Espadrilles Paris : pop-up espadrilles store open until July 29th. The Basque Country joins here the California style : a total success. Espadrilles Paris 6 rue des Filles du Calvaire 75003 Paris
- Pyrenex : the French brand of duck jackets is reborn with a new Japanese designer. Pyrenex 32 rue de Poitou 75003 Paris
- FrenchTrotters : a lifestyle boutique with its own creations, young and relaxed. FrenchTrotters 128 rue Vieille du Temple 75003 Paris
- LA panoplie : 2 men designers from the South of France launched this brand in 2010. Items with the perfect cut and design. LA Panoplie 126 Rue Vieille du Temple 75003 Paris
- Basus : don’t use animal leather for its labels or creations, but cork made in France. A sleek design collection, chic and casual. Basus 1 rue de Normandie 75003 Paris
- noyoco : the Paris cloakroom unisex, with an eco-responsible collection, bio, or recycled by reusing the fabrics of major fashion houses. Very chic, simple, fresh. noyoco 9 rue Commines, 75003 Paris
Etiquette : do not call when entering a store, look at the staff and say hello.
“I dreamed of settling in a lively, authentic neighborhood,” said Christophe Robin. That’s done ! This intimate and refined salon offers wonderful hair care. A pure moment of relaxation for Umbert. Christophe Robin 16 rue Bachaumont 75002 Paris
Etiquette : do not forget to cancel the appointment if you cannot come.
Dinner 21:00 – 23:00
On the roof of the Palais de Chaillot, a breathtaking view of the Eiffel Tower. A 1930s café style. Very chic and Parisian, ideal for the fireworks of July 14th, or to admire the sun set over Paris, drinking with friends. Le Café de L’Homme Palais de Chaillot 17 place du Trocadéro et du 11 novembre 75016 Paris
Etiquette : which glass to choose? The water glass is the largest on the left; the red wine glass is the middle one, the smallest white wine glass is on the right. Wipe your lips before drinking so you do not stain the glass.
Balagan : perfect to have cocktails in a very central and chic neighborhood. Very friendly staff. Balagan 9 rue d’Alger 75001 Paris
Etiquette : let your female guest choose her cocktail, then order it.
Coffee & Croissants 10:00 – 11:00
After a Parisian night that ends late as usual, Umbert loves to relax at Angelina, and enjoys croissants, pain au chocolat, pastries, coffee, tea or the famous hot chocolate in a sumptuous decor “Belle Epoque”. All the historical charm of Paris in the same place. Angelina 226 rue de Rivoli 75001 Paris
Etiquette : the butter should not be spread on a slice of whole bread. You must first cut a piece of bread with your hands, and put in a little butter before eating.
Exhibition 12:00 – 14:00
A unique exhibition that includes a selection of Claude Monet’s late works, including the famous Nymphéas, and American artists such as Pollock, Rothko, Newman. The unexpected meeting of French Impressionism and American Abstract Expressionism. L’abstraction américaine et le dernier Monet (jusqu’au 20 Aout) L’Orangerie Place de la Concorde 75001 Paris
Etiquette : do not stay too long in front of a work if there are many people. Sit on a bench to watch and enjoy it.
Umbert now joins his friends for a lunch on the terrace, facing the Louvre. Inventive and healthy cuisine. Umbert always orders the fish of the day or vegetarian dishes constantly reinvented. Le Fumoir 6 rue de l’Amiral de Coligny 75001 Paris
Etiquette : if you eat a soft fish, use the fish cutlery; if the flesh is hard use the cutlery especially the knife.
Original or traditional shops of the famous rue Cambon and Saint-Honoré attract Umbert who invites you to discover them.
- nous : an all-for-male universe specialized in streetwear, high-tech, watchmaking. The chic street-culture is also present with skateboards, unique pieces, adorned with photos of Araki, Warhol or Basquiat. nous 48 rue Cambon 75001 Paris
- Maison Michel : Umbert tries hats, caps, models “André, Rico or Charles”. This shop provides fashion designers : Chanel, Saint Laurent. Not to mention the hat brushes and the famous hat boxes. Maison Michel 22 rue Cambon 75001 Paris
- Astier de Villatte : Umbert offers her friend Emma to admire the most beautiful hand-crafted ceramics made in Paris. The pieces are unique : tableware, household items : a great gift idea … Astier de Villatte 173 rue Saint-Honoré 75001 Paris
- Le Labo : perfumes created in front of you and with you, not tested on animals, original and personalized scents. Tailored to you and your personality. Le Labo 203 rue Saint – Honoré 75001 Paris
Etiquette : the choice of a perfume is delicate. Seller's advices are valuable. The criteria are : your age, your style (sporty, natural, sophisticated), your fashion style and your place of life, the time of the day.
Colonial and cozy spirit, imaginative Thai cuisine, terrace and greenery in Paris. Happiness and a festive evening for Umbert and his friends. He loves Bamboo, and the atmosphere is such that he never wants to leave the place, and ends the night comfortably sitting in an armchair while enjoying cocktails. Bambou 23 rue des Jeuneurs 75002 Paris
Etiquette : it is the man who places the order to the server. The man has to wait for the woman to start eating first.
Brunch 12:00 – 14:00
Under the arcades of the Napoleon courtyard at the Louvre, one of the most mythical settings in Paris, with an exceptional view of the Louvre pyramid from the shaded terrace. One of the favorite places of Umbert who likes the mixture between the history of France and the modernity of the place. Café Le Marly 93 rue de Rivoli 75001 Paris
Etiquette : when the waiter comes to you with a bottle of red wine, look at the label to check the order. Turn the red wine in your glass delicately before tasting and agreeing.
Umbert loves French culture and is looking forward to this wonderful exhibition. In association with the Metropolitan Museum of Art, 180 works help to understand the career of Eugene Delacroix, sometimes unknown. This exhibition shows what inspired and directed him. Eugène Delacroix Musée du Louvre 2 Place du Carrousel cour Napoléon 75001 Paris
Etiquette : instead of taking pictures, you can buy the book at the shop of the exhibition.
High tea 17:00
The interior garden of the hotel is a zen and magic place before leaving Paris. A fountain, a tree suspended by red ropes over the water according to a Japanese tradition, birds. An invitation to a refined and gourmet exoticism. Le Camelia at Hôtel Mandarin Oriental 251 rue Saint Honoré 75001 Paris
Etiquette : it is useless to lift a finger while drinking your tea, this is very old style ... Do not leave the spoon in the cup, place it on the plate.
Summer is not over .. luckily ! The month of August is a privileged moment in Paris, Umbert will enjoy the calm, and discover new places that he will share with you.
As a bonus, Umbert offers you the first chapter of his French Etiquette training when you register for this Blog.
Bon voyage !
Umbert de Paris