Umbert is planning his holiday invitations.
He will be so happy to welcome his friends and family in his elegant apartment in Paris.
He wants to help you remember some simple rules on How to welcome your guests.
Benefits of this coaching :
- Best methodology to become irresistible
- An innovative technique to unleash your charisma
- Learn the new etiquette & manners
- A better lifestyle
“We do not arrive at people home empty-handed,” French proverb.
1) Welcoming guests
Forget about the fatigue, nervousness, worries.
The host must imperatively be ready to welcome his guests. Umbert likes to dress, perfume, to make sure that his style is impeccable.
Everyone is greeted with a kind word that expresses the joy of receiving.
If the guests have sent flowers or chocolates before, thank them warmly, but discreetly to not bother those who would not have brought anything.
If there are few guests, open the package in front of them. If it is chocolates or candies, offer them at the end of the dinner.
If there are many guests, open them afterward, and call or write the next day to thank.
Providing vases with the water for the flowers offered is necessary. Arrange the flowers in it and highlight the bouquet.
If someone brings a wine that does not fit the menu, say that you keep it to share it with them at the next dinner.
If one brings fresh champagne, serve it as an aperitif or dessert.
Toasting can bring fun and make your party special. The host proposes it to celebrate this night, to welcome everyone or a special guest. The host should stand up, raise his glass, make a short speech and have fun! Don’t forget to watch everyone, then look at the special guest, if there is one, who will say a polite thank you.
When the aperitif is finished (1-hour maximum) the host gets up and places the guests.
If a guest is very late, do not wait for him to eat.
2) The présentations
The presentations are the first act of interaction with the other guests.
The first impression being the one that counts the most, Umbert reminds you of the basic rules of the New Etiquette and manners.
Immediately giving the best self-image is a delicate art, so Umbert offers you that general advice that is easy to follow anywhere :
- First, you have to stand up to meet the guests.
- Keep your arms loosely at your side, ready to shake hands.
- Smile to give the image of a person at ease, happy to know those that are presented to you.
- Do maintain eye contact to prove your sincerity and confidence, do not keep your sunglasses if you are outside.
- Speak clearly to avoid having the caller repeat, especially your name, so never chew gum, or eat while talking.
If you are shy or uncomfortable, have someone introduce you.
If you meet a celebrity, do not stare at her, and take a picture only with her permission, especially if she has a bodyguard !!
The presentations rules :
- Three criteria must be respected: age, sex, and social status.
- The youngest person is presented to the oldest, the man to the woman, an employee to his employer, the least “graded” to the most “graded.”
- The persons to reach out first are the women, the hosts, older people and people of high social standing.
The presentation process :
- State your name first, then your second name: “Good evening, Umbert De Paris.» Never say the name first, or Mr. Umbert De Paris or I am Umbert De Paris. Only use Mr or Mrs when you make an appointment, for example, at the hairdresser. You can say « Mr,» « Sir,» « Mrs » or « Madam » only for an older person.
- How should the handshake be? Be careful; it reveals your personality! Too strong: proof of self-confidence, but also authoritarianism. Not strong enough: evidence of indifference, of boredom. Too long: loving intention or strong affection. Strong enough, not too long: this is the proper way to do it. If you wear gloves, remove them, but a woman can keep them in the street. The man must propose to the woman to keep them. If you enter a room where there are many people: it is not necessary to shake hands, you must shake the host hand, and smile to all saying a general hello.
- Once the interlocutor knows your name, you can add “How are you? ». Never starts with “How are you?” which is reserved for intimates. You can say “I am delighted to meet you” or” I am delighted to know you “or” I am pleased to meet you.“ Never say “delighted” or “I am happy” or “very happy.”. If you are introduced to a young boy or girl: “Hello” can be followed by the first name. This formula is warmer.
- If someone forgets to introduce you, do not hesitate to introduce yourself by saying “Good evening, I think we have forgotten to introduce ourselves, my name is (First name and last name).»
Diane introduces Umbert to her friends.
They first meet Emma in conversation with Charles. Diane says “Umbert, Let me introduce you to Emma.»
Then they meet Charles: « Charles, this is Umbert.»
Umbert « How are you? », shaking hands.
Kiss or no kiss :
- If you want to be introduced to a woman: bow a little and introduce yourself and wait for the woman to give her hand.
- Do not kiss the people you meet for the first time.
- Never force someone to kiss you.
- You can kiss if the person who is introduced to you bends over to kiss you.
- You can kiss a very young child.
- If a person blushes while kissing him, act as if you have not noticed anything.
Umbert hopes that you’ve learned some tips to know How to introduce yourself according to the New Etiquette.
Depends on the country, greetings rituals may change, especially in Asia. Follow Umbert on his next adventures and weekends to learn about international etiquette.
3) The hand kissing (optional)
You can read this article about the hand-kissing: Should we still do the hand-kissing
How to welcome your guests to your dinner party at home? Welcoming guests and the aperitif are an exciting moment for Umbert.
He loves to check if the beginning of the party is full of joy and great talking, which is a sign that the night will be a complete success.
What you must remember: always smile and great guest warmly, to make them comfortable. This will assure a great party. Do the presentations properly no ones feel disrespected. Keep the hand-kissing for a very formal ceremony.
How to become irresistible? Download now the free eBook « How to become irresistible ».
Enjoy the journey!
Umbert De Paris